Recently, my sister-in-law and my brother moved to Houston, Texas, to begin a new life. As a going away present, I decided to make this mixed-media canvas. In this homage to California, she will be reminded of the family that loves her. I also incorporated her favorite color—teal—to make it personalized to her tastes.
Follow the instructions below to make a perfect house-warming, going-away, or just-because gift.
- Project Life Core Kit – Prismatic Edition
- Ranger Texture Paste, 3.9 fl oz
- Dina Wakley Media Heavy Body Acrylic Paint – Turquoise
- Cavallini Vintage World Map Carte Postale, 18 Postcards per Tin
- Malibu turquoise satin ribbon 50 yards
- Soft Pastel Set of 64 – Assorted Colors
- 8 X 10 Artist Quality Acid Free Canvas Panels 12-Pack
- palette knife
Mixed-Media Canvas Instructions:
- Paint canvas with turquoise paint. Let dry completely.
- Use a palette knife to stencil texture paste through art deco stencil design. Allow the texture paste to create a raised design.
- When texture paste is completely dry, rub different colored chalks over the surface and blend gently with finger. Tip: Pinks, greens, and yellows seemed to work best. (Oranges did not work well.)
- For added durability, seal canvas with clear acrylic sealer.
- Glue “Hello Love” card from Prismatic edition Project Life card set to corner.
- Cut out California from Cavallini & Co. postcard set and adhere to top half of canvas.
- Hot glue a turquoise bow to top of canvas.